Central to the village and dominating the skyline of the Hill is Lilleshall monument. This structure was erected by the tenants of the village in memory of their landlord George Leveson Gower, First Duke of Sutherland and completed in 1833. At that time most of the houses and farms in the village were tenanted and remained so until a major sale in 1917 when most properties were bought by their tenants.
The inscription on the Monument reads
TO THE MEMORY OF
GEORGE GRANVILLE LEVESON GOWER K.G.
FIRST DUKE OF SUTHERLAND
THE MOST JUST AND GENEROUS OF LANDLORDS
THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED
THE OCCUPIERS OF HIS GRACES SHROPSHIRE FARMS
AS A PUBLIC TESTIMONY THAT HE WENT DOWN TO HIS GRAVE
WITH THE BLESSINGS OF HIS TENANTS ON HIS HEAD
AND LEFT BEHIND HIM UPON HIS ESTATES
THE BEST INHERITANCE WHICH A GENTLEMAN OF ENGLAND
CAN BEQUEATH TO HIS SON
MEN READY TO STAND BY HIS HOUSE HEART AND HAND